Crews from Sedona Fire District’s stations 3, 4 and 6 responded to a house fire on Monday, Jan. 30, in the Village of Oak Creek. Trucks arrived at 25 Creek Rock Circle within minutes to find the garage engulfed in flames.
The homeowners said they were home at the time of the fire and tried to put it out themselves, but the fire got out of control.
According to Deputy Fire Marshal Jon Davis, the fire was electrical in nature caused when the charging system on a golf cart malfunctioned. A smoke detector alerted the owners who found their garage filled with smoke.
Crews reported smoke and flames from the garage that were threatening the rest of the structure. The crews prevented the fire from extending into the living spaces.
The homeowners said the fire also burned the kitchen and the laundry room and there is extensive water and smoke damage.
Davis said the fire was contained to the garage but that the rest of the house suffered smoke and water damage with an estimated loss of $150,000.
Fire Investigator Rick Evans said the owner had just returned from a golf outing and plugged the cart into the charger shortly before the blaze was discovered. BLOG COMMENTS POWERED BY DISQUS