|Village fire flashes us back to 2006, a bad wildfire year|
|Written by Trista Steers MacVittie|
|Wednesday, 30 May 2012 00:00|
The heart of the Village of Oak Creek is pounding after a fire destroyed two homes, displacing those residents.
Disaster struck Friday, May 25, when high winds carried flames between a recreation vehicle and two homes located near Jacks Canyon Road.
The residents of the Village and Sedona have since answered the call to help their neighbors by raising as much money as possible for those who lost everything with collection boxes located throughout the area and at least one fundraiser planned in the near future.
Luckily, the destruction stopped after only two homes.
A fire on a red flag warning day could have been much, much worse, which is why residents in surrounding homes were also evacuated.
First responders recognized the potential for another La Barranca Fire and acted appropriately.
A spark from a worker’s welding tool started the La Barranca Fire in the Village six years ago June 1 destroying eight buildings and burning 836 acres before 300 Sedona Fire District and wildland firefighters were able to put the fire out.
La Barranca gobbled up $1.6 million in firefighting funds before extinguished.
La Barranca wasn’t the end of it for Sedona that year, and if we aren’t careful and prepared, Friday’s Village fire could also only be the beginning of a tough fire season ahead.
The Brins Fire started 17 days later June 18, 2006 — also at the hand of a human.
A transient’s campfire ignited what became a 4,317-acre wildfire in the forest surrounding the city.
Flames engulfed trees and shrubs on Brins Mesa, Wilson Mountain and in Oak Creek Canyon.
Residents in Oak Creek Canyon were evacuated, and officials shut down the summer tourist hot spot. Ten days later, the fire was contained.
If we don’t want a repeat of 2006, it’s time to be conservative and take every possible precaution.
We’ve already endured weeks of smoky skies from the Gladiator Fire near Crown King, which is now approximately 50 percent contained.
Friday’s fire in the Village taught us a blaze can start even if we follow fire restrictions. Luckily our first responders were ready and able to stop it when they did.